South Korea’s military says that North Korea launched three ballistic missiles early Wednesday morning.
The missiles were launched in less than 1 hour from the Sunan area in Pyongyang, according to Seoul authorities.
US Vice President Joe Biden returned from a tour to the area last night, pledging to increase steps to dissuade North Korea.
Since the beginning of this year, North Korea has fired a flurry of ballistic missiles.
At least two launches were verified, although Japan conceded that there may have been further launches on Wednesday.
At a maximum altitude of 550 kilometers, Japan’s Defense Minister Nobuo Kishi stated the first missile went 300 kilometers.
While the second reached a height of 50 kilometers (31 miles) and flew 750 km, according to him.
Mr Kishi said for missiles:
“These launches are not acceptable,” Mr. Kishi said, adding that they would “threaten the peace…of Japan and the world community.
South Korea’s National Security Council labeled the missile launch a “grave provocation” in a meeting conducted after the launch, according to the presidential office.
Vice President Joe Biden returned to the United States on Tuesday evening.
Following a five-day journey to Asia that included stops in Japan and South Korea.
Prior to Biden’s arrival, US and South Korean officials had warned that North Korea was set to conduct a new nuclear test.
Mr. Biden and Yoon Suk-yeol, his South Korean counterpart, agreed during Mr. Biden’s visit to Seoul over the weekend to undertake larger military exercises and deploy additional US strategic assets if required to prevent North Korea’s increasing nuclear testing.
“We’re ready for whatever North Korea does,” Vice President Biden has previously said.
For more news from the world click here!
Follow us on our social networks